Friday, November 13, 2009

Zucchini Orange Marmalade Bread...

     Zucchini, the prolific vegetable.I'm pretty sure we've all had more than our share of zucchini at one point in our lives, either from our own gardens or friends. If you haven't, then you've heard the rumors. Come august and september they start rolling in, and our creativity goes to work. First it is ratatouille, to use those amazing tomatoes and eggplant that are also overflowing our counters. Then grilled zucchini with everything you eat... I made grilled ratatouille this year. Next we freeze some, pickle some, make relish from some.. oh, then we bake. Or, it happens in a different order, but it's all the same. So much zucchini. I admit, it was not a problem for me this year. we went away in august for ten days..a word to gardeners, it is unwise to go away when the veggies start bursting without a totally reliable person to safe guard your jewels.. everyday..we had a gate left open here and our dogs where over there and the deer found an easy path in. They ate everything they wanted and trampled the rest. many plants kept on growing and producing, very single minded they are. the zucchini did not survive. I was okay with it. I wish our county allowed hunting, as a friend of mine who lives in Oregon pointed out, he gets to eat the animals his garden inadvertently fed.

So I found myself BUYING zucchini at the farmers mkt. not knowing anyone who had an overabundance this year, because I had to grill more..and bake more!
Cookbooks, food blogs, family heirloom recipe boxes are loaded with zucchini bread recipes. Basic zucchini bread, chocolate zucchini bread (with or with out chocolate chips), zucchini nut bread. So how about zucchini orange marmalade bread? I started following the recipe from the Tartine cookbook while in my last stint baking professionally, I don't own the book (if you feel like donating a copy that would be just fine!), but I love the cakey bread it makes, so I recently created my own version and I'm sublimely satisfied with it.

                              Zucchini Orange Marmalade Bread


This can be made in 2 loaf pans or muffin tins. This will be consumed rather rapidly. I double it.

 preheat oven to 350〫and grease loaf pans or muffin tin.

3 large eggs
3/4 cup oil ( light olive or canola, safflower)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup orange marmalade

3 cups grated zucchini
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups unbleached flour
1 tsp.baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt


Beat eggs in a large bowl. add oil, sugar, marmalade and vanilla. whisk together well.
In  small bowl whisk flour with baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Add dry ingredients to wet and add zucchini. mix well.
Pour batter equally in to prepared pans, I like to sprinkle the top with sugar.

Bake loafs for about 60 min and muffins for 25. Turn pans halfway through baking. check by inserting a skewer or tooth pick into center, if it comes out with a few crumbs, or clean, it's done. Don't eat it immediately, it's very hot!




well, THAT was easy !  see the specs of marmalade? I like lots of rind in mine.








No comments:

Post a Comment