Wednesday, November 18, 2009

cooking for work

 I haven't been around for a bit. I have taken a job cooking (okay, personal chef-ing) for an older couple, I need work and they need home cooked meals. It's just part time, but I must work the kinks out of it. Like anything new we start, there are kinks. For instance, I didn't realized that they eat different food from each other,I can only imagine from so many years of eating out, that requires some creative balancing on my part. One eats lots of salmon and is gluten free. The other does not and isn't. Did I mention I am cooking it all at my home and delivering it to them? Well, I am. And toss that in with cooking for my family, you get it. I am working the kinks out.
It's interesting interviewing people to find out what they like. It's all so subjective. I thought everyone likes baked Macaroni and Cheese, right? Polenta? Chicken soup? Hmm. Roast Chicken? (with absolutely no fat on it, maybe.) Lentils,yes.I asked many questions and got "make that for him, he likes that"  and "I love Broccoli and Salmon.Do you want some Olive oil? It's organic." cute.

I've made Roasted Cabocha Squash soup, so good, with toasted cumin and coriander seeds infusing the milk, not cream, for the base ( even though she once felt sick from squash soup somewhere, I knew my chances where slim, but I tried convincing her it was the cream that made her sick, not the Squash.) A short grain rice pilaf with shitake mushrooms, slivered bok choy, garlic, ginger, and grilled red onions. served with grilled Salmon ("oh, I'll eat both peices, I don't think he'll eat any"). Today I brought over a very veggie filled Minestrone Soup, with rice pasta. and Chicken roasted with cherry tomatoes and olives (skin removed, all fat drained off.) I used those same roasted tomatoes in the creamy polenta I made along side, a tiny bit of parmesan for flavor (cheese is on the not liked list). Organic Broccoli sauteed in olive oil with garlic. 
They were not home when I dropped off the food, so the verdict is out.
One thing I know for sure, flourless chocolate cake is in the near future!


Tart dough and tarts are coming. Promise!


1 comment: