Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Wholesome Quick Sunday Breakfast

So here we are, Sunday morning. Reading the news, lingering over coffee. I'm hungry.
"I'm hungry, what do you want to eat?" 
"Eggs I guess."
"Hmm." I groan inside. I love eggs. I eat eggs every day. In most ways possible. Everyday. I want bread. Waffles. Pancakes. I'm not eating gluten right now. I'm considering gluten free popovers. I made some very yummy ones, 18 of them. We ate 12 in one shot. I don't advise it. 
Eggs. I scan the fridge. 1/2 an onion,1/2 a zucchini. Oh, we have spicy dried chorizo! Cilantro,mushrooms, tomato, a bit of grated cheese. And corn tortillas.Chewy. Happiness.


Here's what I came up with lickety-split. My husband titled it Tostada Supreme. 
Let's call it;
 Huevos Ranchero Frittata Tostada
                             
1/2 small onion                            
1/2 small zucchini
4 mushrooms
1/2 tomato
1/4 cup chopped dried chorizo sausage
1 Tlsp. butter
chopped cilantro, to taste
3 scallions, chopped
4 lg eggs, beaten with a bit of water
1/4 cup grated cheese (whatever you've got that goes)
4 small corn tortillas (white or yellow)

Cube onion, zucchini, mushrooms, tomato and chorizo in to small pieces. In a heavy skillet, preferably non stick, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, zucchini and mushrooms. Put a lid on letting the veggies cook down. Remove lid; add tomato and chorizo, finish cooking veggies until well cooked or browned, how you like them. Add eggs. With a rubber spatula scoot the mixture around letting the egg get under the veggies around the sides. Cover and cook until the eggs start to set, about 4 min. check that the eggs are cooking in the center but still runny on top. Sprinkle with the cilantro, scallions, cheese. Cover and turn heat off. 
Sometime while cooking frittata put the 4 tortillas in a toaster oven (or oven) and toast slightly, until they are firm.. not too much or they break. (You can also fry the in oil in a frying pan, a less healthy way of making tostadas).

Serve the huevos frittata over the corn tortillas with your favorite hot sauce!


Additional ingredients could include green or red peppers, left over potato, finely minced greens. whatever you have on hand to make this up quick! This whole thing should take about 15 minutes.























No comments:

Post a Comment